NEWS RELEASE - FRIDAY 26 AUGUST 2016
Boeing 747 Takes Top Prize
The Queen of the Skies is clearly the world's favourite civil aircraft
Arconics recently asked the question: "What is the greatest civil aircraft of all time?" We now have an answer.
With over a thousand votes cast in the Arconics online poll, the Boeing 747 flew away with the top honours, with an astonishing 38% of the vote. To put this victory in context, the second-placed aircraft - Concorde - won 14% of votes.
The B747 attracted comments like:
"The B747 heralded in the new era of commercial aviation and no aircraft has ever been as recognizable as the B747."
There were 515 Boeing 747 aircraft in airline service as of July 2016, comprising 19 747-200s, five 747-300s, 394 747-400s, 96 747-8s and a single 747SP. Arconics AeroDocs customers, Cathay Pacific and Qatar Airways, currently operate 747-400s.
B747 Top Facts
- The 747, AKA the Jumbo Jet, had its first flight in 1969 and entered service with Pan Am in 1970.
- Its passenger capacity was 250% that of the B707, the previous largest jet airliner.
- By July 2016, 1,523 aircraft had been built, with 20 of the 747-8 variants remaining on order.
- A 747-8 costs around US$350 million.
- The 747-400 passenger version can accommodate 416 passengers in a typical three-class layout, 524 passengers in a typical two-class layout, or 660 passengers in a high density one-class configuration.
- The 747-400, the most common passenger version in service, has a high-subsonic cruise speed of Mach 0.85–0.855 (up to 570 mph or 920 km/h).
Poll results in detail:
Our online poll - at http://bit.ly/2aMI8Yw - remains open so that we can analyse changing preferences as more of us get to experience nextgen aircraft.
Read all about the B747 on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747
Read Boeing's take on their most famous aircraft, with a focus on the in-production 747-8: http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747/
Boeing, 747, Jumbo Jet, Queen of the Skies, B747, Delta Air Lines, Qatar Airways, Cargolux, Cathay Pacific, Qantas
Cathay Pacific B747 landing at Kowloon, Hong Kong - Cathay Pacific
For further information, product data sheets, customer case studies, please contact:
Gary Byrnes, Digital Marketing Manager, Arconics
T: +353 1 611 4625 M: +353 87 249 3051
Arconics online press kit: http://www.arconics.com/media-kit/
Notes to Editors
Arconics is a world leader in enterprise software and mobile applications for aircraft operators. The company’s products include the market-leading AeroDocs platform for aviation document management. Our electronic flight bag, AeroEFB, has the world’s best pilot document viewer. CloudStore is a powerful, feature-rich wireless IFE platform. Arconics customers include Qatar Airways, Tigerair Australia, Cathay Pacific Airways, Ryanair, Aer Lingus and Philippine Airlines. Tens of thousands of pilots, ground managers and cabin crew across five continents depend on Arconics software to operate their fleets safely and efficiently. The company is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, with operations in Sydney, Australia.